[Skip to content]

Core Care Standards - Homepage
Search our Site

Safeguarding - we will safeguard children and vulnerable adults


We have a professional and legal responsibility to safeguard children and vulnerable adults, and we take this very seriously.

We work with our partner agencies in Derbyshire and Derby City to ensure that wherever we find concerns, these are acted on.

We have standards and procedures in place to protect:

  • Vulnerable Adults

  • Children

  • People subject to domestic violence

Self Care 2012
If you have concerns

Visit the Derbyshire Healthcare Foundation Trust website to find out how to get help if you have concerns about someone's safety


If you suspect an adult is at risk of abuse, or if you are experiencing abuse, you can access help on the following numbers: 

  • Derbyshire Adult Social Care – 08456 058 058 or 01629 533190 (lines open 24 hours)
  • Derby City Adult Social Care – 01332 717777 (between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday) or 01332 786968 (between 5pm and 9am Monday to Friday, and all day Saturday & Sunday.

If you think something needs to be done straight away to protect yourself or another adult of abuse, please ring 999


  • Call the NSPCC helpline on 0808 800 5000 - adults who are concerned about a child can speak to a trained child protection officer for advice about what to do (you can also email helpline@nspcc.org.uk for advice).
  • If you are a child or young person, you can call ChildLine on 0800 1111 to talk about any problem - counsellors are always there to help you sort it out. It is free and confidential.
  • Speak to your (or the child’s) GP, health visitor, school nurse or other health professional so that you can share your early concerns. You could also speak to the child’s teacher. All professionals have guidelines on how to act when children and young people are at risk. They will be able to advise you on what to do next.
  • Telephone Derby Children’s Social Care (Social Services) on 01332 786968 (Out of Hours) / Derbyshire Children's Social Care (Social Services) on 08456 058 058 and ask to talk to someone about your worries.Contact the Police on 0345 123 3333.


  • If you think a child or young person is in immediate danger, call the police on 999.  


All concerns about children and young people are taken very seriously - do not worry that your concerns will be dismissed or ignored. You could help to end a child’s suffering by your actions

Preventing Domestic Violence
Preventing Domestic Violence

Some adults will be unable to protect themselves, some of those adults will be parents of young children, meaning that there will be Safeguarding needs for both the adult and children in these circumstances. Adults with mental health problems are more likely to experience domestic violence. The Trust has a Safeguarding Advisory Service to support practitioners.

Help and Advice

Men’s Advice Line for men experiencing domestic violence on 0808 801 0327

Women’s Aid is the key national charity working to end domestic violence against women and children. It supports a network of over 500 domestic and sexual violence services across the UK. Freephone Helpline 0808 2000 247 

Karma Nirvana: A registered Charity that supports victims and survivors of forced marriage and honour based abuse - Helpline 0800 5999 247 

NHS England - Information about Domestic Violence and Abuse

Safeline for men, women and young people. Helps people with preventing supporting and surviving sexual abuse and rape

Think Family
Think Family

In Derbyshire we have adopted the principles of the ‘Think Family’ approach which is a way of working together with different agencies and professionals to better safeguard vulnerable adults, children and families. The Think Family principles are:

  • No wrong door - contact with any service offers an open door into a system of joined-up support (e.g. an adult mental health worker notices on her weekly visits that the young daughter of the family is at home during the day and carry out caring tasks inappropriate for her age, she uses this as an opportunity to review the care plan with the service user, thinking about parenting needs alongside the needs of the child. She decides to talk to the school nurse about whether a CAF is needed.)

  • Look at the whole family - services working with both adults and children take into account family circumstances and responsibilities (e.g. an alcohol treatment service combines treatment with parenting classes while supervised childcare is provided for the children)

  • Provide support tailored to need - tailored & family-centred packages of support are offered to all families at risk (e.g. a Family Intervention Project works with a family to agree a package of support best suited to their situation)

  • Build on family strengths - practitioners work in partnerships with families recognising & promoting resilience and helping then to build their capabilities (e.g. family group conferencing is used to empower a family to negotiate their own solution to a problem)